Sunday, March 2, 2014

Alone Time

It’s Saturday night. I’m home alone with the puppy. I’m writing this blog post, and probably eating a Lean Cuisine for dinner while watching documentaries on Netflix.

And that’s OK.


One thing I've learned after being in a long distance relationship for so many years, having a single room in college, and just being an introvert in general, is that I like alone time. One may think “alone time” pretty much ends after you get married—but not for me! Because Tony goes to work every day and I work from home, we do spend most of our days apart. He also travels a lot for work, so there are still weeks and weekends where we’re worlds away from each other. Although I miss him (and his help with Jaspy baby puppy ruckus) I’m actually totally cool with hanging out with myself. It’s actually nice once in a while.

Alone time means I get to spend my time however I want it without (too many) distractions. I can clean the house without anyone but me to mess it up again. I can watch the girliest, most awful reality shows on TV without a single complaint about it. I can watch YouTube videos on the couch without my ear buds. I can get drunk on wine and stay on Tumblr until the wee hours of the morning, just like the old days!

Maybe the above sounds sad—but it’s really not. Introverts, like myself, take pleasure in these things. Of course, it would be totally different if I had to spend alone time without the Internet. I mean, if we’re honest, when Tony is on a trip, the most real social interaction I usually have is with the cashier at Target. And nothing against cashiers at Target (there’s this one elderly woman of Asian descent who I absolutely love) but I’d rather hang out with me, anyway. I’m pretty cool.

How do you feel about alone time? Do you get “stir crazy” without other humans in your space? Let me know in the comments :)

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in a family of ten, married two years ago and still trying to adjust to my very quiet apartment.It is a huge change from the noise and chaos I grew up with. I do get very lonely when my husband is at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see that being an adjustment! Everyone is different when it comes to these things. My (extended) family is huge and loud as well, so living across the country from them is definitely a change. Luckily, my personality is one that enjoys the quiet! When you can connect with people in the Internet, you're never TRULY alone, right? ;)

      Delete